Busted Halo offers a Virtual Retreat for Reflecting on Volunteer Service – A guide for building a culture of encounter by Genevieve Jordan Laskey
Have you spent time volunteering or on a service trip? Did the experience excite, affirm or even challenge you? Use our virtual retreat to help you reflect on your experience and take some next steps toward building a better world. Whether you volunteered on your own or with a group, this retreat is for you. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a list of additional resources to get you motivated to volunteer again.
From the beginning…
After a service project or day of volunteering, find a comfortable place where you can reflect on
your experience without distraction. If you volunteered with others, invite them to join you for
Now settle into the moment:
- Find a silent or peaceful place.
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
Slowly walk through your day, paying attention to your thoughts and emotions.
- How did you feel before you started the service experience? What were you excited about?
- Was there anything that made you nervous or uncomfortable?
- Where and with whom did you experience joy or gratitude?
Recall each encounter of the day and how you reacted to it.
It continues (pdf) with a reflection related to Pope Francis thoughts on a culture of encounter and some questions for further reflection…