In 2008, at their chapter, the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy took the first step toward historical completion of their congregation.
“We asked ourselves, if a hurricane came, how would we begin anew? What would we take?” The sisters acknowledged three core values: community, ministry, and prayer. With the help of facilitators, the sisters also took time to acknowledge and process the grief of realizing that the congregation was no longer able to provide a “viable community life” to new members.
They began a process of shifting focus to a more contemplative ministry, and being open to the “God of surprises.” The sisters named this process as “a new chapter” in their story.
The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy in Charleston, South Carolina, is the only apostolic diocesan religious congregation with a motherhouse located in the state. Founded by Bishop John England in 1829 in Charleston, the congregation’s motherhouse and novitiate on James Island were dedicated in 1959. Read more