from amm.org:

This is a very special year for the Association of the Miraculous Medal in Perryville, Missouri. On May 18, we will celebrate our 100th anniversary of promoting devotion to our Blessed Mother and spreading the word about the Miraculous Medal, a gift she gave to us through Saint Catherine Labouré. The Association was established by the Western Province of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentians) in the United States. Saint Mary’s of the Barrens in Perryville, Missouri, was founded in 1818 by the Vincentian priests so it was only natural that Saint Mary’s should become a center of devotion to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. We ask that you continue to keep us in your prayers as we celebrate this milestone.

Association of the Miraculous Medal in the United States of America

In the early years, the AMM was founded at two places in the USA, corresponding to the two provinces of the CM in that nation. The first foundation was at Philadelphia in 1915, called the “Central Association of the Miraculous Medal,” and located on the east coast. The second was at Perryville, Missouri in 1918, and it is called the “Association of the Miraculous Medal,” located in the center of the country.

Both groups are very similar, enrolling members throughout the country at the choice of the member. As their principal apostolate, they support the province of the Congregation of the Mission where their offices are located.

Source: Shelby, Charles C.M. (2002) “The Association of the Miraculous Medal,” Vincentiana: Vol. 46: No. 4, Article 17.

Brief Background and Origin of the Association of the Miraculous Medal, Perryville, Missouri

In order to spread devotion to Mary as our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, an association was formed shortly after the first medals were distributed. The Association was established at the motherhouse of the Congregation of the Mission in Paris. Gradually, other associations were established elsewhere in the world. Pope Pius X recognized these associations in 1905 and approved a charter in 1909.

In 1918 an Association was established by the Western Province of the Congregation of the Mission in the United States, with headquarters at St. Mary’s of the Barrens, in Perryville, Missouri. Saint Mary’s of the Barrens was founded in 1818 by the Vincentian fathers. The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal was built in 1929 by the Promoters of the Association of the Miraculous Medal. Since the building of the Shrine Chapel in 1929, the church of St. Mary’s of the Barrens has served as the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. The Venerable Felix de Andreis, first superior of the Vincentians in the New World, is buried beneath its floor. Near the tomb of Felix de Andreis is the chapel housing the Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. Here a novena of Masses is offered each month for members of the Association. Here, too, petitions from all over the country are placed near our Lady’s Altar.

Source: Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives

St. Mary’s of the Barrens (Perryville, Missouri) church, by Markkaempfer – Self-photographed, CC BY-SA 3.0

Tomb of the Venerable Felix de Andreis, CM


Tags: ,

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This