The official dates of 2016 World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland were announced today, March 7, during the press conference of Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, Archbishop of Krakow and Bishop Damian Muskus OFM, head of the organization committee. Main events of WYD will start Tuesday, July 26, 2016 and last until Sunday, July 31, 2016. These dates were earlier recommended to Pope Francis as optimal and the Secretary of State of the Holy See officially approved them.
According to Cardinal Dziwisz localization of the events was practically chosen, too. Blonia, huge public meadow in the center of the town was selected to host the main events including meetings with Pope Francis. in the same place all other meetings with the John Paul II an Benedict XVI took place. It is estimated some 2 million people can fill the place for final Mass. Other sites like Devine Mercy and John Paul II Shrines in Lagiewniki, Krakow are considered to host some events, too.
Prior to central events there will be so called “Youth Days in Dioceses”, scheduled for July 20 to 25. Young people from around the world will visit their Polish peers in 43 dioceses in Poland but Krakow which is excluded.
Hopefully, International Vincentian Youth Meeting will take place in the same as the events in Dioceses, as it was in previous meetings in Brazil, Spain and Australia. However the decision was not taken among Vincentian Family what the exact date and location of this event will be. As soon as the decision is made we will let you know.
Cardinal Dziwisz and Bishop Muskus also announced an outline of schedule of the 2016 WYD:
– Monday, July 25 – arrival and accommodation in Krakow
Tuesday through Saturday: Festival of Youth
– Tuesday, July 26 – official opening of the 31st WYD presided by the Metropolitan of Krakow,
– Wednesday, July 27 – catechesis for participants, meetings in language groups,
– Thursday, July 28 – catechesis continued, arrival of Pope Francis and his welcoming,
– Friday, July 29 – catechesis continued, Stations of the Cross
– Saturday, July 30 – evening vigil with the Holy Father,
– Sunday, July 31 – central event – Eucharist with Pope Francis concluding WYD. A host for next WYD will be announced.
Information courtesy of the New England Province of the Congregation of the Mission.
For the upcoming WYD and International Vincentian Youth Meeting in Krakow 2016 Famvin.org opened dedicated profiles in: