As we look forward to gathering with family and friends in the comfort, warmth, and safety of our own homes this Christmas, our thoughts naturally turn to those less fortunate. Ordinarily, Christmas in Ukraine is a joyous affair, centered on religious tradition, large family gatherings, bustling Christmas markets, children caroling and colorful street performances. Celebrations typically extend from mid-December until the Feast of Epiphany on 19th January. But with so many separated from loved ones, and relentless missile attacks, such moments of joy will be few and far between this year.
That’s why Christmas celebrations are planned across Depaul’s services, with brightly decorated trees in the basement bomb shelters so many now call home, festive meals, parties in our emergency family accommodations, and gifts for the children. We will also be continuing food distribution to over 20,000 people throughout the Christmas period and forging ahead with winterization activities to keep people warm and safe.
To make all this possible, we’ve launched a special Christmas Appeal and hope that you will consider making a gift. Donations will be used where needed most, but below are just a few examples of the difference your gift could make:
- £35 / 40€ / $45 could provide a Christmas meal for five people
- £80 / 90€ / $100 could provide 10 children with a Christmas gift
- £250 / 290€ / $300 could pay for decorations and a reusable Christmas tree in one of our shelters
- £500 / 580€ / $600 could fund trauma counseling in one of our day centers for a month
- £1,500 / 1.750€ / $1,800 could help people in recently liberated areas survive the cold by providing a generator for a communal heating point
We recognize that times are tough, but your donation really could bring joy, or even save a life this winter, so if you can, please donate today.