On June 3, 2018, the eruption of the Fuego volcano (Guatemala) buried dozens of people and left hundreds of families homeless and many more at risk. The Vincentian Family has visited and accompanied many of these victims since the tragedy occurred. This allowed them to learn first-hand about their real needs and also brought them closer to other groups that were providing support. This is how the Advisory Council “Solidaridad por Guate” was born. This organization aims to support the victims of the Fuego volcano and is currently managing the construction of 33 houses in Parramos, Chimaltenango, and facilitating the creation of training workshops and human-community training programs that will enable people to continue their lives despite the pain and the loss that they have experienced.
Solidarity for Guate is composed of:
- Volunteers from Antigua: a group of people from Antigua Guatemala committed to social causes and who have been accompanying the victims since the time of the eruption.
- The parish of Saint Francis of Assisi: a diocesan parish in the city of Mixco, Guatemala, where the parish priest (from the very beginning) committed himself to this cause.
- The Vincentian Family: an international organization that works for the impoverished around the world. Through the Systemic Change Commission and the FAMVIN Homeless Alliance Advisory Board, they have worked together with the victims, listening and accompanying them in order to make them protagonists of their own development.
- HAGUA (Friends and Brothers and Sisters of Guatemala): which is made up of the Latino community of Portchester, New York. This organization is noteworthy for its works on causes that favor the development of the poorest communities.
- Conference of Religious of Guatemala (CONFREGUA): this organization represents the majority of religious congregations that work in this country and is characterized by their willingness to engage in the struggle for justice and equity in Guatemala.
This is how the “Welcome Home” project, led by the Guate Solidarity Advisory Council, has developed. It is here that the Vincentian Family of Guatemala is implementing a Systemic Change project with 33 families affected during the eruption of the Fuego Volcano, in June 2018. Various groups of people from different Christian churches have joined together, as well as national and international entities and institutions, and various religious congregations. We thank God for what has been accomplished and we ask for strength to continue the struggle … Let us continue to support one another.
For more information, images and to donate to the cuase, see: