Over 70 years after the death of Frederic Ozanam, the Diocese of Paris started his canonization process in 1925. In February 1926, the cause took a significant step forward with the miraculous cure of an 18-month old baby in Brazil, Fernando Luiz B. Ottoni, who was afflicted with a virulent form of diphtheria. After a lengthy investigation, on June 22, 1995, this cure was officially recognized as a miracle through Ozanam’s intercession.
The second, long-awaited stage was completed on August 22, 1997, with the Beatification of Frederic Ozanam by Pope John Paul II at World Youth Day in Paris. The ceremony was held in Notre-Dame cathedral (video archive available at the INA site: http://www.ina.fr/video/CAC97124466).
During his inauguration speech on September 9, International President General of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul Renato Lima de Oliveira emphasized his commitment to intensify actions to achieve the canonization of Blessed Frederic Ozanam. This cause is being conducted and defended by a Commission within the International General Council, whose members are:
- Sebastian Gramajo, (Argentina, 3rd General Vice-President) & Commission coordinator
- Amin de Tarrazi (Delegate for the Cause for the Canonisation and former President General)
- Father Shijo KANJIRATHAMKUNNEL PHD CM, postulator
Today, a second miracle is needed, and two cases are being studied, which will be analyzed by the Commission for Canonization:
- The case of Profetina Jesus Almeida Queiroz, member of a Conference in Portugal, who had an accident in the year 2012 resulting in vascular brain damage, and whose health is currently very good.
- Andréia Auxiliadora da Luz Nascimento, from Minas Gerais, Brazil. In 2013 she had a pregnancy with a high risk of anencephaly for the baby; but the mother who is a Vincentian said many prayers and her son Jose Antonio is today 2 years old and is full of health and life.
Below you will find two resources, one, the complete letter from International President General Renato Lima de Oliveira regarding the canonization process for Frederic Ozanam; and two, a prayer that has been written beseeching the Lord to allow another miracle that will lead to the Canonization of the Founder of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul.
Prayer for the canonization of Blessed Frederic Ozanam
In the hope of obtaining a miracle through his intercession
You made Blessed Frédéric Ozanam a witness of the Gospel, full of wonder at the mystery of the Church. You inspired him to alleviate poverty and injustice and endowed him with untiring generosity in the service of all who were suffering. In family life, he revealed a most genuine love as a son, brother, husband and father. In secular life, his ardent passion for the truth enlightened his thought, writing and teaching.
His vision for our society was a network of charity encircling the world and he instilled St Vincent de Paul’s spirit of love, boldness and humility. His prophetic social vision appears in every aspect of his short life, together with the radiance of his virtues. We thank you Lord, for those many gifts and we ask, if it is your will, the grace of a miracle through the intercession of Blessed Frédéric Ozanam.
May the Church proclaim his holiness, as a saint, a providential light for today’s world! We make this prayer through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Sources: SSVP Global; Frederic’s E-Gazette, November 3