Gifting systemic change! Economically stressed people need a hand up more than a hand out. So why not consider some alternative ideas for gifts this Christmas? Zafen (Vincentian Family), ReRouteIt (Sisters of Charity Nazareth) and Heifer are just some of the practical ways you can promote change this Christmas.
Of course there is the Vincentian Family’s Zafen! Zafèn enables you to support sustainable, economic development projects in Haiti by funding enterprises of all sizes, creating jobs for those living in some of the poorest conditions in the world.
See how much you can achieve when you create or join a group of like-minded contributors, combine funding, and finance a larger project than you could have ever funded alone! Create your own team around any topic or shared interest that you might imagine. Each team member maintains her or his own separate My Zafèn profile, contributes to projects individually, and then assigns each contribution to any team they have joined. Your team pages will reflect the contributions of all members.
- Pass it on. Pay it forward. You know the concept. A new pair of shoes for you is good for a night out … for someone on the other side of the world, it might be his/her only pair. Rather than filling your life with things you don’t really need, send it where it counts. We can help you do that. Re-route it. Your donation will go where it makes a difference for people in great need.
- The Sisters of Charity of Nazareth strive to create lasting solutions to poverty, hunger, and social injustice in the United States, Belize, Botswana, India and Nepal. The items selected represent needs in programs and activities that further the religious, charitable and educational purposes of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth.
Heifer Heifer’s proven approach – more than 65 years in the making – helps people obtain a sustainable source of food and income.
- Cornerstones guide our efforts to end world hunger and care for the earth.
- Long-Term Solutions emphasizing community involvement distinguish our work from that of global relief organizations.
- “Passing on the Gift” means recipients agree to share the offspring of gift animals with others in need, making them equal partners with Heifer in the fight to end world hunger.
- Environment and Sustainable Development is taught to our project recipients to help them achieve sustainable agricultural production.
- Animal Well-Being guidelines are strictly reinforced with professional veterinary training staff.
- Disaster Rehabilitation, with long-term, sustainable development the goal of Heifer’s rehabilitation projects.
Lots of folks are using such approaches to put Christ, our ujltimate gift, back into Christmas.
In the words of the Advent Conspiracy. “Christmas can still change the world!” This year give presence!
- The story of Christ’s birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love.
- So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists.
- And when it’s all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas?
- What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?
Welcome to Advent Conspiracy.
Tags: Christmas, Featured, Systemic change