On August 15, the feast of our Lady’s Assumption into heaven, a prayer service was held to dedicate the newly constructed water feature and plaza area on the Shrine grounds of Saint Mary’s of the Barrens in Perryville, Missouri. Fr. Oscar Lukefahr, Spiritual Director of the Association of the Miraculous Medal, officiated the service.
Through a kind donation from the estate of Louis and Lavern Kutter of Louisville, Kentucky, the rock water feature was made possible. Three of their four children were present for the dedication, and participated in blessing the feature. Both Louis and Lavern loved the outdoors and nature so the family chose to memorialize their parents in this lasting way.
The plaza area was made possible through the generosity of our members, including Anna Mae Kline of Old Appleton, Missouri. Anna Mae, her brother, and sister-in-law were also on hand for the dedication and took part in the blessing.
Over 70 people attended the service, including many Vincentian priests and brothers, the mayor of Perryville, representatives from the Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club, and members and staff of the Association. The new plaza area with the beautiful water feature will provide our many visitors and pilgrims with the perfect place to pray and meditate. In the future donors will be able to have themselves or a loved one memorialized or honors by having a paver stone engraved and placed in the plaza area.
The Association of the Miraculous Medal was established in 1918 by the Western Province of the Congregation of the Mission in the United States. Our mission is to bring Mary, conceived without sin, to the Catholics of North America. We invite members to greater holiness by attending to their pastoral and spiritual needs, forming them in the Christmas life, and involving them in the apostolate of charity, especially toward the clergy and the most abandoned.
The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal is our center of prayer. Visitors are welcome to tour the historic Saint Mary’s of the Barrens Church, built in 1827, and the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal located inside the church. For more information visit www.amm.org.