National Conference of Visitors
About the NCV
The Purposes of the NCV
- To develop interprovincial cooperation with a view to possible reconfiguration
- To foster collaboration with the Daughters of Charity and the Vincentian Family
- To handle other items of national business
- To provide mutual support for the Visitors
The National Conference of Visitors met in Montebello, CA on October 13, 14, and 15, 2005. The Visitors welcomed the Vicar General, Fr. Józef Kapu_ciak, C.M., to his first meeting as the delegate of the Superior General to the NCV, and. also welcomed Fr. Roman Gorowski, C.M., who took his seat as the new Visitor of the New England Province. A special guest, Fr. Manuel Ginete, C.M., made a presentation on his role as the delegate of the Superior General to the Vincentian Family.
On August 8, 2005, Fr. John Sledziona, C.M. completed nine years as the Visitor of the New England Province and three years as the first President of the National Conference of Visitors (NCV). The newly appointed president, Father Andrew E. Bellisario, C.M., Province of the West, extended the gratitude of the Visitors to Father Sledziona for his years of dedicated service to the Congregation on both the Provincial and National levels.
The NCV has authorized a pilot program of the Online Study of the Constitutions. Fr. Bob Maloney, C.M. will lead the project. Everyone will be encouraged to participate in the pilot program when it becomes available.
The NCV agreed to sponsor an English language publication of the general history of the Congregation being prepared by Father John Rybolt, C.M., DePaul University,Chicago. This project is in addition to, and separate from, the Vincentian Translation Project sponsored by the five provinces since 1978.
The five provinces currently collaborate in a wide range of areas. Since 1998, confreres move more freely in works outside of their home province. For example, Brother Joseph Zurowski, C.M., of the New England Province is on the stafff of De Paul Evangelization Center in Montebello, CA; Father Miles Heinen, C.M., Southern Province is on the faculty of St. John’s Seminary, Camarillo, CA. Father Miles also serves as Treasurer for the Southern Province and the Province of the West.
The NCV also sponsors several collaborative projects involving all five provinces :
- Biennial Vincentian Formators’ Conference USA. The third Formators Conference was held on June 26-30, 2005 at Cenacle Retreat House in Chicago, Illinois.
- National Superior’s Formation Workshop. The first National Superior’s Formation Workshop is scheduled for May 11 and 12, 2006 in Chicago.
- Semiannual meeting of the Provincial Vocation Directors. The Vocation Directors meet twice a year to discuss best practices and to develop ways in which they can collaborate more effectively in a national approach to vocation ministry.
- Oversee the Vincentian Translation Project (Letters and Conferences of St. Vincent de Paul) in Emmitsburg and the Vincentian Studies Institute located at DePaul University in Chicago.
The next meetning of the Visitors will take place February 9-11. At that time the five Visitors will meet with the five USA Visitatrixes of the Daughters of Charity, and with the leadership of the USA Vincentian Family groups.
John Sledziona, C.M. Visitor of USA - New England, Former President of the NCV has written a History of National Conference of Visitors - USA