Green Scapular On Jan. 28, 1840, in Paris, France, the Blessed Virgin appeared to Justine Bisqueyburu DC, a Seminary Sister of the Daughters of Charity, which she was at prayer in the convent chapel at Rue du Bac. This began a series of visits which culminated in a special gift of Mary: the Green Scapular.
The first four or five visits of Mary with Sr. Justine seemed to have no other end than to deepen in the Sister her relationship to the Mother of God. Shortly after she received the habit of the Daughters of Charity and had been sent to serve the poor by teaching in Blangy, France. When she was at prayer on September 8, 1840, the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, she had another apparition of the Blessed Virgin. Mary held in her right hand her heart surrounded by flames, and in her left, a type of scapular. The scapular consisted of a single small piece of green cloth suspended from a cord of the same colour. On one side of the piece of cloth was a picture of the Blessed Virgin as she had shown herself in the apparitions. On the other was a heart inflamed "with rays more brilliant than the sun and clearer than crystal."
Our Lady's heart, pierced with a sword, was surrounded by an oval inscription surmounted by a cross. The inscription read, "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death." At the same time, an interior voice revealed to Sr Justine the meaning of the vision and that the scapular should be shared with the world as an instrument in the conversion of souls. Sister Justine told no one other than her superior and her spiritual director, Jean-Marie Aladel, C.M.. The scapular was approved by Pius IX in 1870. External Links