Lizabeth B. Nicol Systems Department Auburn University Libaries Auburn University, AL 36849
Present: Chief Technical Officer for FAMVIN.org
1984-2009 Project Manager, Information Technology Manager, Information Technology Master Specialist – Auburn University Libraries, Auburn AL
- Installation and maintenance of integrated library management systems, including IBM mainframe-based NOTIS LMS and Unix/Oracle-based Voyager (Endeavor);
Installation and implementation of software for Digital Library applications: Encompass (Endeavor), Greenstone (New Zealand Digital Library), DLXS (University of Michigan Digital Library Extension Service) and CONTENTdm. Unix System administration for Solaris and Linux servers utilizing Apache, Tomcat, MySQL, Oracle and associated packages for image processing, XML/XSL transformations and Java-servlets. Develop web pages and scripts to support the library’s web presence. Work with personnel from the Office of Information Technology to resolve computing and networking issues. Member of the committee which selected the hardware and software for use with a statewide, IMLS funded project; System administrator for the server for the project. Primary technical system administrator and web developer for AlabamaMosaic.org which was the resulting product of the IMLS funded project. Co-Principal Investigator for NDIIPP Cooperative Agreement project “Metaarchive of Southern Digital Culture.”
- Programmer Analyst - Florida Department of Labor and Employment Security, Tallahassee, FL
- Programmer and Systems Analyst supporting the Florida Employment Service. Projects and systems included the Federal Job Matching program, local programming to support various Employment Service functions and development of local programming to support the Job Training Partnership Act.
- Programmer Analyst – Office of Budget and Finance, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Programming to support various functions of the Office of Budget and Finance and the FSU Foundation fund-raising efforts.
- Programmer – Office of the Auditor General, State of Florida, Tallahassee, FL
- Programmer on team developing a statewide payroll and personnel system.
- 1971-1975 Auburn University: BS in Biology (Microbiology)
- 1975-1977 University of Hawaii, Manoa Campus: Graduate work towards MS in Oceanography
- 1976-1977 Florida State University: Special Graduate student in Oceanography
PUBLICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- MyLibrary @ Auburn University, Portal Implementations in Research Libraries: An Overview, with Catherine Jannik, ARL/SPARC pre-conference at ALA, Atlanta, Georgia, June 14, 2002. (http://www56.pair.com/cjannik/presentations/ala2002.ppt)
- The Lowest Common Denominator: Utilizing Descriptive Meta-Data and XML to Create a Subject Based Cross-Institutional Research Portal, with Catherine Jannik, Library and Information Technology Association National Forum, Houston, Texas, October 11-13, 2002. (http://www56.pair.com/cjannik/presentations/LITAforum2002.ppt)
- A Scanning Primer workshop on creating digital images for use in the AlabamaMosaic and other digital projects, designed with Todd Jennings. Presented for: the Alabama Library Association, Montgomery, AL, April 2004; At the Alabama Educational Technology Conference, Birmingham, AL, June 2004; for The Shoals Archive, Florence, AL, November 2004. (http://www.lib.auburn.edu/scanning/)
- The MetaArchive of Southern Digital Culture: Building a Collaborative Digital Preservation Network (project briefing) with Robert H. McDonald (Florida State University), Martin Halbert (Emory University), Vicky Reich (Stanford University) and Tyler O. Walters (Georgia Institute of Technology) at CNI Fall Task Force Meeting, December 6-7, Portland, OR.(http://www.cni.org/tfms/2004b.fall/abstracts/PB-metaarchive-mcdonald.html)-
- Placing the Cornerstone: Sharing Library Treasure in Alabama with Sheri Downer, Sue Medina, Beth Nicol and Aaron Trehub, Library Hi Tech (forthcoming in 2005)