Dear Member of the Vincentian Family,
May the joy of the Risen Lord be with us always!
Four hundred years ago St. Vincent de Paul said that “Love is inventive unto infinity.” As our world and the global community evolve rapidly, so does the Charism of Charity. The growth of this Charism in the past, and as we move into the future, depends on such love and creativity. It depends on our openness to the growth of the Spirit within and among us and our attentiveness to the needs of those who are poor and marginalized in our world.
We meet the Holy Spirit through intentional openness to God in silence, in prayer, in contemplation and through deep sharing and dialogue. Life experience, culture, and prayer shape how we think about what we do. Each and every member of the Vincentian Family is responsible for helping to evolve the Charism Charity in our own lives.
This 400th Vincentian Family Anniversary meeting will provide a special opportunity for members to share deeply in planning for the future of the Charism of Charity. In preparation for our gathering please take the time to think, to contemplate and to pray using the following Scripture readings:
- The Exodus Journey – Ex 14:10-14
- The Emmaus Journey – Luke 24:13-35
- The Journey through Calvary to the Resurrection – Luke 22-24:12, or John 17-20:31, or Matt: 26-28:10, or Mark 14-16:18
- Journey to the New Jerusalem – Is: 2: 1-5, 9:1-7, 11:1-9, 66:18-2
Questions for Meditation:
- From my heart –
- What feelings are in my heart as I come to this discussion regarding “Welcoming the Stranger: the Charism of Charity into the future”?
- From my prayer –
- Being in dialogue together is an opportunity to find creative ways to address possible directions for the growth of Charity in our time and place.
- From my desires –
- What graces, resources, skills and strengths do I need to live Charity fully and creatively both near and far?
The Spirit will continue to lead us…this requires that we be open, attentive, and prepared…
In this same Spirit and our shared Charism,
Rev. Joseph V. Agostino, CM
Coordinator, Vincentian Family Office
With the members of the Symposium Speakers Team:
- Sister Rosemary Moynihan, SC – Superior General, Convent Station
- Sister Donna Geernaert, SC – VFO Consultant, Halifax
- Dr. Marty Martin – Professor, DePaul University (Chicago)
- Rev. Charles Plock, CM – Eastern Province
- Sister Brenda Hermann, MSBT – Executive Director, Missionary Cenacle Family
- Mr. Michael Clark – Executive Director, Impact Germantown