The Daughters of Divine Love Congregation by the special grace of God, without affiliations to any foreign Congregation is the first veritable indigenous Congregation of Women Religious, the fruit of the labour of the early Missionaries in Nigeria. Founded in Ukpor in Anambra State on July 16th, 1969 by a native born Nigerian Bishop, His Lordship, Godfrey Mary Paul Okoye, C.S.Sp, of happy memory. Their motto is: Caritas Christi Urget Nos! During their establishment, Reverend Thomas Fitzstephen Devine, C.M., (1923-2001), influenced the formation of the early sisters, especially through the writings of Saint Vincent.
The apostolates of the Daughters of Divine Love consist primarily in prayers and the witness of their consecrated life of Divine Love. They are committed to such ministries as: Catechetical, Domestic work, Education, Health care, Counselling, Legal Practice, Prison and Home visitation, Pro-life, Liturgical Vestments, Sutan and all types of Clerical dresses, Hospitality/Catering services, Charity Home, Agricultural, Social services and apostolate of the Presence. The Daughters respond to the needs of the Local Church according to the availability of personnel with the right qualification and ability.
The Generalate of the Congregation is located in Enugu. Approximately 870 members witness to God’s love in many dioceses in Nigeria and God has borne them on his wings of love to other countries outside Nigeria: Gabon, Cameroon, T’Chad, Mali, Kenya, England, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, the United States of America, Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti.