More than 250 bishops of different nationalities will develop and deepen the theme of World Youth Day (WYD Rio2013) during three mornings of catechesis. Selected by the Pontifical Council for the Laity (PCL), there will be stationed at a different catechesis location every day. According to the director of the Pastoral Preparation Department, Father Leandro Lenin, the placement of the bishops will not be published. “We want the contact between the young people and the bishops to be a surprise every morning.”
The following English speaking Bishops (4 of whom are Cardinals, and 12 Archbishops) will be presenting “catechetical instructions” during WYD. There are corresponding lists for French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish bishops..
- Most Rev. Kenneth RICHARDS – Bishop of Saint John’s-Basseterre – Antigua & Barbuda
- Most Rev. Mark COLERIDGE – Archbishop of Brisbane – Australia
- Most Rev. Anthony FISHER – Bishop of Parramatta – Australia
- Most Rev. Daniel Eugene HURLEY – Bishop of Darwin – Australia
- H.E. Cardinal George PELL – Archbishop of Sydney – Australia
- Most Rev. Lawrence Subrato HOWLADER, CSC – Auxiliary Bishop of Chittagong – Bangladesh
- Most Rev. Richard William SMITH – Archbishop of Edmonton – Canada
- Most Rev. Joel BAYLON – Bishop of Legazpi – The Philippines
- Most Rev. John SHERRINGTON – Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster – England
- Most Rev. Charles Gabriel PALMER-BUCKLE – Archbishop of Accra – Ghana
- Most Rev. Vincent Michael CONCESSAO – Archbishop Emeritus of Delhi – India
- Most Rev. Donal McKEOWN – Auxiliary Bishop of Down and Connor – Ireland
- Most Rev. Charles J. SCICLUNA – Auxiliary Bishop of Malta – Malta
- Most Rev. John Ebebe AYAH – Bishop of Ogoja – Nigeria
- Most Rev. Hugh GILBERT – Bishop of Aberdeen – Scotland
- H.E. Cardinal Wilfred Fox NAPIER – Archbishop of Durban – South Africa
- Most Rev. Samuel AQUILA – Archbishop of Denver – United States of America
- Most Rev. Edward J. BURNS – Bishop of Juneau – United States of America
- Most Rev. Frank CAGGIANO – Auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn – United States of America
- Most Rev. Charles J. CHAPUT – Archbishop of Philadelphia – United States of America
- H.E. Cardinal Timothy M. DOLAN – Archbishop of New York, President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops – United States of America
- Most Rev. Gustavo GARCÍA-SILLER, M.Sp.S – Archbishop of San Antonio – United States of America
- Most Rev. Jerome LISTECKI – Archbishop of Milwaukee – United States of America
- H.E. Cardinal Sean Patrick O’MALLEY, OFM Cap – Archbishop of Boston – United States of America
The catecheses, which will take place from Tuesday to Friday, will have three different themes. On July 24, the theme that will be address is “thirst for hope, thirst for God.” On the 25, it will be “being a disciple of Christ.” And on July 26, the bishops will meditate upon “being a missionary, and now go!”
On the registration voucher, every pilgrim will be assigned a catechesis location. Besides the catechesis itself, pilgrims will also get their breakfast kits there, for those who chose a registration option with meals. “
At the catecheses, we will have to limit the number of entries. Each catechesis has been designed for a certain group of pilgrims, and we will avoid, if possible, overloading any catechesis session.
We also want to keep in mind the number of breakfast kits to be distributed at the locations and make sure that there are enough for all the pilgrims at every location,” explained Father Leandro.
The catechesis sessions will take place in the morning from 9:00 until 13:00 and will finish with a Mass celebrated by the bishop catechist of the day. Throughout the morning, pilgrims will also be able to attend confession and ask the bishop questions.
Tags: Bishops, Cardinals, catechesis, World Youth Day, Youth