In response to the call of the late Pope John Paul II to "addressed the underlying causes and long-term solutions to poverty" Vincentians are striving to serve as a "Voice of the Poor".
Advocacy - Vincentian Perspectives
Vincent de Paul
Blessed Frederic on Advocacy
- "If Catholics would make up their minds to publicize every tyranny of which they are certain, and to be certain of each one they want to publicize, I have no doubt that they would sooner or later command respect: but the times and upheavals make it necessary to check out and verify and not be satisfied with nearly, which ought never to satisfy a Christian conscience when defending the cause of truth is at stake. This must be said apropos of present controversies. I note with pleasure that men of substance are coming forward, and deem that M. de Montalebert has restated the question in all its importance, putting it where it always belonged: between the universal church and the universal state. "
Frederic Ozanam, Letter 522 to Ferdinand Velay, Lyon, July 12, 1840, Frederic Ozanam a Life in Letters, p. 362.
Importance of Advocacy Today
- Letter from Pope Benedict XVI on the Church’s Role in Being a “Voice for the Voiceless” March 22, 2006
- “God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong’ (I Corinthians 1:27). May this criterion of divine action, still in vigor today, encourage you not to be surprised, and less still to become discouraged, in the face of difficulties and misunderstandings. In fact, you know that through them you authoritatively participate in the prophetic responsibility of the Church, which strives to continue speaking up in defense of man, even when state politics or the majority of public opinion moves in the opposite direction. The strength of truth, in fact, is found in truth itself, not in the number of approvals it receives.”
The Congregation of the Mission is a non-governmental organization (NGO) accredited to the United Nations.
This website also offers you direct access to the Vincentian UN-NGO Office. This year, 2005-2006, the Vincentian NGO Office will continue to contribute to the work of poverty eradication, economic and social development and peacemaking at the UN. In addition, we are involved other NGO's who have given a priority to the issue of children infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.
Vincentian Millenium Partnership Great Britan
- The Vincentian Millennium Partnership (VMP) is an umbrella organisation set up to foster collaboration among those Organisations, Groups, Trusts, Charities and Religious Congregations in Great Britain which are influenced by the spirit of Vincent de Paul. The ethos of the Vincentian Family is rooted in the Gospel and may be best summed up by the words of Jesus:
- "Whatever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters - you do it to me."
The Voice of the Poor sponsored by the Society of St. Vincent dePaul.
"In the spirit of Christian love and justice, the Voice of the Poor Committee upholds Catholic values by researching, validating, documenting, advocating, and promulgating issues related to the condition of the poor and disenfranchised for the purpose of helping Vincentians to live their faith by acting knowledgeably and credibly as a unified body speaking with one voice for the purpose of building up the Kingdom of God."
A Spirituality for Justice Seminar hosted by the Vincentian Partnership for Justice at All Hallows College, Saturday 28th Septmber 2002
- Beginning the Exploration -Sr. Catherine Prendergast DC
- Engaging with Our Story - Presentation on our Vincentian Charism and Tradition - Eric Cooney SVP
- The Road to Emmaus - Fr. Dan O'Connell CM
- Vincent's Spirit - Food for a Journey Fr. Joe Foley, CM Vincentian Representative at the United Nations
Planning the Next Step - The Way Forward Sr. Margo Delaney CHF and Sr. Bernadette MacMahon DC
- Click on the link "Social Justice" on the left side of the page for links to specific concerns.
- See also Justice for Immigrants Campaign
- Catholic campaign for Human Development
- When Catholic Charities USA was established in 1910, it pledged to be an "attorney for the poor," a national advocate for the nation's most vulnerable people and communities.
- The Advocacy Web page is a clearinghouse of information and resources about Catholic Charities USA's social policy division and its efforts to shape federal legislation. To inform members and assist them in their own social policy activities, Advocacy makes available documents relating to particular issues, provides access to AdvoFax archives and staff information, and issues calls for action and testimony.
- Catholic Media Report is a project of the Catholic Democracy Institute, a non-partisan not-for-profit organization. Catholic Media Report is one of the vehicles through which the CDI educates Catholic Americans about the fullness of the Catholic faith as it relates to life in their democratic society
- Related sites Compilation on the Voice of the Poor site.