We are accustomed to view Saint Vincent from the perspective of his relationship with the poor. In doing so we run the risk of narrowing our vision in such a way that we simply consider him as a great philanthropist or a compassionate humanitarian. Why was Vincent so interested in assisting the poor spiritually and [...]
Tag Archives | Vincent
Sr. Rose Pacete concludes her review of “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” with these words … “This is the story of Bilbo Baggins, a gentle, simple hobbit who followed a call and went on an adventure to help his neighbors, to lay down his life perhaps, for those he didn’t even know. Along the way, [...]
VinFormation celebrates the Feast of the Immaculate Conception – The presence of Mary is abundant, clear and solid in the experience of St. Louise and St. Vincent. As Vincentians, let us draw from this wellspring available to us. St. Vincent and the Immaculate Conception Within the mystery of the Immaculate Conception, St. Vincent saw the [...]
Celestino Fernandez writes… “I simply ask the listener or the reader to imagine for a moment Vincent de Paul, an elderly man, speaking to us about the memories of his heart and doing so as a type of indelible witness. Once again then he opens his heart to us like a father who brings from his [...]
A new book from John Rybolt , CM – St. Vincent de Paul was very faithful to meditation, which sets a good example for us in our busy world. “Advent and Christmas Wisdom from St. Vincent de Paul” endeavors to present his thoughts in a way that can help us to spend some quiet time [...]
Vincent de Paul and Louise de Marillac, the administrators Excerpts from an article by Robert Maloney, CM St. Vincent was realistic, practical. He believed that, without a solid economic base, the Congregation and the Daughters of Charity could not carry out their missions. He said that he never accepted the proposal of “persons who have [...]
FAMVIN begins the journey of this year of faith with a reflection on how Vincent opens the door of faith to us. Explore the following themes with brief reflections drawn from recent studies on Vincent… The Power of the Vincentian Message for Evangelization Today… St. Vincent’s Truths of Faith… The Year of Faith and the [...]
In an article “Vincent de Paul, Welfare Statist?“Acton Research Fellow Kevin E. Schmiesing writes on Acton Insititute Power Blog of his concern that Vincent is being used as a pawn in an election cycle. “In Thomas Worcester’s recent column on the Huffington Post, he spins the seventeenth-century Catholic saint, Vincent de Paul, as an advocate of [...]
The two centuries of service began with a decision by a 19 year old Catherine Spaulding. Arthur Jones of NCR writes, “Dec. 1 will be 200 years to the day since 19-year-old, Maryland-born Catherine Spalding and her five friends responded to a call from Sulpician Fr. (later Bishop) Benedict Flaget for young women to teach the faith. [...]
The words of Vincent’s secretary, Brother Robineau invite us to deeper reflection on the manner in which Vincent practiced humility. Here In part two Juan Corpus Delgado CM presents Vincent de Paul, a humble man, from five different perspectives: Vincent recognized that all good things come from God and refer back to God. Vincent esteemed [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- jbf: Follow the events of this celebration as they unfo...
- georgia hedrick: Now if only I could make the LAWN addicts of the d...
- jbf: 4 faith perspectives on Gatsby ...
- jbf: Dear Georgia, thanks for giving us the facts! PS P...
- georgia hedrick: Water is more important than oil or gold or gas or...
- Plastic shopping bags – sleeping mats for the homeless May 3, 2013
- The Pope and the Vincentian Superior General April 29, 2013
- Vincentian Service and Mission opportunities May 18, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- The Seven Deadly Sins and The Great Gatsby May 17, 2013
- Vincent on the Trinity and Corpus Christi May 25, 2013
- Encyclical on Poverty May 25, 2013
- Remember Memorial Day not because… May 24, 2013
- SVDP youth receive advocacy award May 24, 2013
- Photo album of VFCAP Day 1 May 24, 2013