Someone has need of it! Depaul UK launches its Spare Room Campaign in response to the dramatic rise in youth homelessness. The campaign sees Depaul UK team up with local charities across the country to call on the 7.5 million households nationwide who have a spare room to consider making it available to a young [...]
Tag Archives | strategies
Members of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops critiqued federal budget proposals for their suggested cuts to social aid programs, which they said would harm the poor and vulnerable. “The moral measure of this budget debate is not which party wins or which powerful interests prevail, but rather how those who are jobless, hungry, homeless [...]
To End Extreme Poverty, Let’s Try Ending Extreme Wealth The world’s wealthy gathered in the Alps recently to discuss how to ‘solve’ the world’s problems. The world’s biggest problem, suggests one top global anti-poverty outfit, may be their fortunes. Sam Pizzigati writes…Apologists for inequality have a standard retort to anyone who calls for a more equal [...]
Vincent de Paul reports surge in calls from ‘a forgotten layer of society’ Irish TImes St Vincent de Paul volunteers are at the coalface in the fight against poverty Today, the Society of St Vincent de Paul( svp.ie) release its figures for the number of people who contacted its offices for help in 2012. For the first [...]
“In Bangladesh, the camera crew slept on mats in huts, side-by-side with villagers who are using micro-lending to pull themselves out of abject poverty. In the county jail in Benton Harbor, Michigan, they were behind bars with the inmates — mothers whose lives, and the lives of their children, have been blighted by drugs. In [...]
Ozanam fund hoping that school will help raise people out of povertyOntario’s Society of St. Vincent de Paul has launched an education program as it continues to evolve from a purely charitable organization to one that can fundamentally change lives. The Ozanam Education Fund Program, named after the St. Vincent de Paul Society’s founder Frederic [...]
A Place at the Table shows us how hunger poses serious economic, social and cultural implications for our nation, and that it could be solved once and for all, if the American public decides—as they have in the past—that making healthy food available and affordable is in the best interest of us all. 50 million [...]
Poverty rates reflect ‘serious moral failure’ writes Bishop Jaime Soto of Sacramento, California, chair of the U.S. bishop’s anti-poverty program. (Washington Post Guest Voice) “For instance, over 46 million Americans live in poverty. That represents over 10 percent of all families and more than one in five children. Close to 23 million are unemployed or underemployed; [...]
How can churches create a future for faith formation using the four scenarios as a guide to responding creatively and proactively to the religious and spiritual needs of people—today and into the future? The good news is that there are proven strategies, ideas, and resources that can bring the four scenarios to life in a congregation. The [...]
Bono: Catholics Should be Made Aware of How Their Church Helped Secure Debt Forgiveness A CNA/EWTN article describing Bono’s comments about the Catholic Church’s pivotal role in the debt forgiveness of and how it helped build schools reads in part: Vatican City, Nov 16, 2012 / 06:10 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The famous U2 vocalist Bono [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- John Freund, CM: YouTube has a collection summaries of his Wednesda...
- Binoy: Thanks for making it easy to follow the daily homi...
- John Freund, CM: I also regularly check for his sayings and enjoy a...
- Ross: Amen to "Keep them coming!" I find it good to w...
- Peggy Baumgartner (Towson): I like reading the Pope's "unofficial" talks. H...
- Pope ‘s unscripted comments June 12, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- Vincentian Family – Nuns on the Bus May 30, 2013
- Following the words of Francis June 15, 2013
- Remembering another war and the Daughters of Charity May 23, 2013
- Ecumenical effort for online safety June 19, 2013
- Sisters of Charity (Nazareth) offering $20,000 June 19, 2013
- Degree Attainment Soars at Catholic Campuses June 19, 2013
- Poverty as a Rubik’s Cube puzzle June 18, 2013
- Vincent de Paul – Prioritize cuts to Hunger Programs June 18, 2013