Pope Francis is certainly having an impact with his simplicity and humility. People across a wide spectrum of believers, unbelievers and sceptics are paying attention. With The Francis Chronicles, reports on the ministry of the world’s parish priest, the NCR has initiated a new blog. It serves to flesh out articles the describe how in six […]
Tag Archives | ncr
Intervention in Syria raises many questions. Thomas Reese of the NCR attempts to lay out some of what moral theologians and church leaders are saying in light of “just war” theory. Not easy reading, but the issue is not an easy one. Just cause? Last resort? Possibility of success? Proportionality? Legitimate authority? Frustration Catholic prelates […]
Praying the news to avert despair Heidi Schlumpf writes in the NCR… “My students often tell me they avoid the news because it’s too depressing. Death, destruction, discord — who needs all that negativity?” But checking out — in essence, putting your fingers in your ears — doesn’t seem like the most mature, or the […]
The NCR collected the following appraisals of Roger Playwin who is stepping down after ten years. CEO praised for guidance in troubled times Jim Dumont, a member of the St. Vincent de Paul Society’s National Council, hired Roger Playwin in 1998 as the executive director for the society’s Detroit office before Playwin became CEO of […]
Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, head of the Vatican’s Congregation for Religious, has dismissed claims from the Vatican that remarks he made to NCR about a controversial 2012 criticism of U.S. Catholic sisters were misinterpreted, saying he backs NCR‘s report as “very precise.” In his remarks at the gathering of the International Union of Superiors General on Monday, Braz de […]
John L. Allen Jr. offers thoughts on Challenges to vision of a ‘Poor Church for the Poor’ “How I would like a poor church for the poor,” Francis said. It’s a fitting sentiment for a pope who took his name from Francis of Assisi, a saint renowned for his love affair with Lady Poverty. […]
If the plans for his inaugural Mass — expected to attract 1 million people to St. Peter’s Square on Tuesday — are any indication, it seems Pope Francis is setting three key themes for the event: simplicity, ecumenism and mercy, Joshua J. McElwee writes in the NCR. In what may also be signposts into the pope’s wider […]
John Allen, noted columnist for the NCR, writes… “Egypt is one of the front lines in what I’ve come to call the “global war on Christians,” meaning mounting anti-Christian violence in various corners of the world. The latest symbol is Nadia Mohamed Ali and her seven children, all of whom have been sentenced to 15 […]
“It’s like a war zone.”I’ve heard this statement many times as I’ve walked the storm-damaged streets around my home in the weeks after Superstorm Sandy made landfall. Every time I heard it, I would nod politely and say a silent prayer of gratitude that, in fact, it isn’t a war zone, writes Jamie Manson. “I haven’t […]
John Allen draws attention to the Nov. 4-6 conference at Notre Dame, “Seed of the Church: Telling the Story of Today’s Christian Martyrs.” Sponsored by Notre Dame’s Institute for Church Life, the event’s aim was to raise consciousness about the widespread persecution of Christians around the world. Statistical overviews and policy analyses were interspersed with […]
Subscribe to Updates
- Ross: Conservative Michael Gerson counts himself among t...
- Sr. Regina Bechtle, SC: Thanks for posting my reflection. Readers can also...
- Ross: May Nelson Mandela rest in peace and his memory be...
- Nun Communicator (@anunspocket): And here is a NEW blog from the Sisters of Humilty...
- marguerite broderick dc: so good to see your video here on famvin, Sr Pat!...
- Vincentian Family Statistics November 16, 2013
- Gaudium Evangelii – Vincentian Challenge December 1, 2013
- Wanted! A Few Persons to Change the World November 24, 2013
- The legacy of Mandela – You can December 5, 2013
- + Father Jack McKenna, CM December 3, 2013
- Formation Friday – Christmas Resources December 12, 2013
- Daughters of Charity Hospital Care Pioneers December 12, 2013
- Search for VMY National Director December 12, 2013
- In a new voice…”Who are the poor?” December 11, 2013
- Waiting in Peace, Blessings… December 11, 2013