Looking for a quick way to explain Ash Wednesday to your friends? Look no further than Busted Halo’s® two-minute video that describes the day which begins the season of Lent, and why Catholics and many Christians receive ashes on their foreheads. First released for Lent 2012. Related FAMVIN Posts:Ash Wednesday and Lent in Two […]
Tag Archives | Lent
Carolyn Woo, President & CEO Catholic Relief Services… “What are you giving up for Lent?” This is a question we ask each other as Ash Wednesday approaches. A slightly different question that I like to ask myself is, “What are you going to do during Lent?” She follows with “My answer this year is, “Participate in CRS Rice […]
Busted Halo® , the online magazine for spiritual seekers in the their 20′s and 30′s, has created a series of virtual stations designed for personal devotion. These stations relate to Jesus’ teachings about the Kingdom of God and the reason his vision of this Kingdom led to his death. Find a quiet place to watch […]
Against a background of the gospel account of the Transfiguration on the Second Sunday of Lent (Mk 9:2-10), this Reflection by Tim Williams CM looks at Louise’s “Lumiere” expereince and draws on quotations from an article by Benito Martinez Betanzos CM titled Saint Louise de Marillac, a mystic to show that religious experiences were […]
Virtual retreat houses and monasteries – A video clip from Romereports.com reports that he Archdiocese of Valencia, Spain put forth their own proposal for Lent. It’s a virtual monastery that offers ideas on what to give up during this season. In this particular abbey you can surf the net to view their chapel, library, cloister, garden, […]
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is asking Catholics to pray, fast, and give alms on Friday, March 2, to assist the 925 million malnourished people around the world. Catholics are asked to “fast” by limiting their food spending to the allotment on the USDA Modified Thrifty Food Plan–about $18 for a family […]
So much for those calling on people to give up Facebook and Twitter for Lent the Pope began daily postings in his name during Lent. According to the Global Christian Post “In a time of the year when many Christians are giving up the ubiquitous social networking service for Lent, Pope Benedict XVI has decided […]
Vincentians today can look at two sources for an answer. The most obvious is of course what the 23rd successor of Vincent shares with us in his 2012 Lenten Letter. Previous Lenten Letters can be found on famvin. Vinformation also offers some ideas on connecting with our Vincentian Family heritage during Lent. As our Superior General’s […]
A brief kinetic type video explaining the what and why of Ash Wednesday and Lent, from the history of wearing ashes dating back to the Old Testament, to the practices of Catholics and Christians during Lent. (from the editors at BustedHalo.com) Related FAMVIN Posts:Ash Wednesday, Lent in 2 minutesBusted Halo Lenten CalendarWalking through the […]
Living the Days of Lent 2012 edited by Ellen Dauwer, SC, and Mary McCormick, SCA short meditation for each day of the season of Lent, with illustrations and detachable pages that can be posted for convenient reflection reminders. It is available on Barnes and Noble and many other sites. Each year the Church gifts us with […]
Subscribe to Updates
- Ross: Conservative Michael Gerson counts himself among t...
- Sr. Regina Bechtle, SC: Thanks for posting my reflection. Readers can also...
- Ross: May Nelson Mandela rest in peace and his memory be...
- Nun Communicator (@anunspocket): And here is a NEW blog from the Sisters of Humilty...
- marguerite broderick dc: so good to see your video here on famvin, Sr Pat!...
- Vincentian Family Statistics November 16, 2013
- Gaudium Evangelii – Vincentian Challenge December 1, 2013
- Wanted! A Few Persons to Change the World November 24, 2013
- Blessed Feast Day – Vincentian Marian Youth November 27, 2013
- The legacy of Mandela – You can December 5, 2013
- Pope named Person of the Year December 11, 2013
- Pope “Don’t look away!” December 10, 2013
- “Women of Spirit” Exhibit’s Virtual Home December 10, 2013
- Ladies of Charity and university collaboration December 10, 2013
- Pope Francis, Dom Helder Camara – Saints or Marxists? December 9, 2013