A Canadian SVDP volunteer reflects on her learning experience and invites people at City Hall to get out their walking shoes and meet with people like this man, to walk alongside, to listen and to understand how poverty affects Hamiltonians. “As I walked alongside this man, I learned where to get clothing and food, where to [...]
Tag Archives | homeless
And the figure is bound to grow since the annual Vinnies CEO Sleepout will not take place until June 21. 2012. There are more than 100,000 Australians who sleep rough each night of the year. Just under half of these are women; a quarter of these are under the age of 18. CEOs and senior business and community [...]
Who are the CEOs who will be sleeping out’ in this years highly successful fund-raiser and event that raises awareness of the homeless in Australia? The VinniesACT YouTube channel offer the opportunity to meet the CEOs who will sleep out for the homeless in Australia. For more information see their media release…. Dr John Falzon [...]
2012 Vinnies CEO Sleepout – Thursday 21 June 2012 There are more than 100,000 Australians who sleep rough each night of the year. Just under half of these are women; a quarter of these are under the age of 18. On Thursday 21 June 2012 the annual Vinnies CEO Sleepout will take place in capital cities across Australia. CEOs [...]
Half of Australians seeking help for homelessness are under 25 and almost twenty per cent are under 10, according to new research by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The report, Specialist Homelessness Services Collection: first results, also reveals that over 90,000 people were assisted by specialist homelessness agencies in the July to September [...]
The Australian CM site reports that Fr. Eamon Devlin CM has been appointed as the new Provincial of the Irish Province of the Congregation of the Mission. Eamon is from Derry and has been working in St Peters Phisborough (Dublin) for many years, as well as with the Homeless and Travelling community. [...]
An “experiment” which involved using homeless people as mobile wi-fi hotspots at an over-crowded convention center has attracted criticism, forcing the advertising agency behind it to defend itself. But the critics may be missing the point. The idea may be a catalyst for some fresh thinking about opportunities to connect with and support homeless people. [...]
Every day I walk from Union Station to NETWORK, here on Capitol Hill. And every day, I pass homeless people who are sitting or walking with all their worldly possessions on their backs. “StreetSense” vendors wave newspapers in front of me and one man always asks, “(Do you) care to help the homeless today?” Sometimes, [...]
“A coalition of welfare and community groups, including the St Vincent de Paul Society, has called on the Federal Government to commit to a $2.5 billion stimulus package for the housing sector in the next Budget. Australians for Affordable Housing (AAH), of which the Society is a member organisation, has asked for an increase in [...]
Cheques for £500 were given to Depaul UK in The Grove, the country’s largest youth homeless charity, and House of Mercy in Edwin Street, which provides a day centre for homeless people or those with inadequate accommodation. The money came from the Kent Police Property Fund and was raised by the auctioning of unclaimed lost [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- jbf: Another view... ...
- jbf: Frequent famvin contributor Susan Stabile offers t...
- jbf: Another opportunity from the Sisters of Charity of...
- jbf: My apologies for missing Colorado Vincentian Volun...
- Éibhlis NicUaithuas: Also Colorado Vincentian Volunteers www.covivo.org...
- Plastic shopping bags – sleeping mats for the homeless May 3, 2013
- The Pope and the Vincentian Superior General April 29, 2013
- Vincentian Service and Mission opportunities May 18, 2013
- Mother and Superior General May 15, 2013
- Daughters of Charity Pentecost video May 14, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- Something new is happening … in Paris May 21, 2013
- Please pray! May 20, 2013
- What we have seen and heard we proclaim now to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us (1 Jn 1, 3) May 20, 2013
- Kickoff of Vincentian Family Collaborative Action Program May 20, 2013