Amanda Kern writes that ”one day, in junior year, the idea popped in my head “maybe I’ll become a nun”. The thought terrified me. But every day, walking those slate steps to and from classes, I passed a painted nun with a tender face that told me “Look, this is what your life could be…” I mostly tried to [...]
Tag Archives | Drink Deeply
Amanda Kerns shares a secret in her latest Drink Deeply , My Daughter blog…. “Vincent de Paul became a priest to become rich”… “Throughout Vincent’s life, we see him constantly changing his heart to grow into the Vincent de Paul that would die at the age of 79.” “And if one of the greatest saints [...]
In “Drink Deeply My Daughter” Amanda Kern concludes a reflection on Vincent and Peace with ”Vincent teaches us that peace is not words. You won’t find eloquent or flowery words from Vincent about peace. You will, however, find action, which as Vincent shows us, is the only way of truly being a Christian who stands for [...]
Sitting in a Communist country on top of a monument to fallen firefighters, is a Daughter of Charity immortalized in stone. Her face is somber, clutching a cross to her chest, and she sits with a mother pelican and her two babies. A Daughter of Charity Postulant writes in her blog about what she learned. The [...]
Amanda begins this simple reflection with “In the middle of Mass one day, I shut my eyes and was overwhelmed, downtrodden by all the doubts and insecurities that surrounded me. And then I saw something. In my mind’s eye, I saw the pews in front of me full of Sisters kneeling. To my left, Saint [...]
“Yet I also believe there is a vocation within the vocation of a Daughter of Charity. Serving the poor makes our heart come alive. My own vocation as a Daughter of Charity means that treasure that holds my heart is the poor, yes, but there is another “treasure within a treasure” that is special to [...]
Amanda in Drink Deeply My Daughter posts the views of a postulant and some constructive thoughts about the average age of sisters today. ”Let’s just admit something straight up – Sisters are getting older. The average age of the majority of religious communities is increasing, rather than decreasing. Convents are closing, schools and hospitals are [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- jbf: Another view... ...
- jbf: Frequent famvin contributor Susan Stabile offers t...
- jbf: Another opportunity from the Sisters of Charity of...
- jbf: My apologies for missing Colorado Vincentian Volun...
- Éibhlis NicUaithuas: Also Colorado Vincentian Volunteers www.covivo.org...
- Plastic shopping bags – sleeping mats for the homeless May 3, 2013
- The Pope and the Vincentian Superior General April 29, 2013
- Vincentian Service and Mission opportunities May 18, 2013
- Mother and Superior General May 15, 2013
- Daughters of Charity Pentecost video May 14, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- Something new is happening … in Paris May 21, 2013
- Please pray! May 20, 2013
- What we have seen and heard we proclaim now to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us (1 Jn 1, 3) May 20, 2013
- Kickoff of Vincentian Family Collaborative Action Program May 20, 2013