The Australian St Vincent de Paul Society is holding the Australian government to it commitment of cutting homeless numbers in half by the end of the decade. They are calling for a bipartisan commitment in Canberra to the commitment made originally by in 2008 by Kevin Rudd as Prime Minister. The call came as “Vinnies” launched [...]
Tag Archives | Australia
The St Vincent de Paul Society of Australia’s 2012 National Overview publication is now available online. “I was a stranger and you welcomed me” As implied by the name, this publication of 25 pages contaiing many items contains an summary some of work of the St Vincent de Paul society across Australia during 2012 and can be [...]
The St Vincent de Paul Society National Council of Australia reviews the work they have done thus far in 2013 to alleviate suffering and address the root causes of poverty and inequality. National President Anthony Thornton said in 2013 the Society would continue to stand in solidarity with those it assists and in doing so [...]
Vinnies in Melbourne Australia get massive gift of furniture from 133 restyled apartments involved in a $2 million refurbishment of the Quest Docklands Serviced Apartments “… the massive overhaul of the apartments has benefited the St Vincent de Paul Society too, with Quest Docklands donating all of the replaced furniture, bedding and electrical equipments including TVs [...]
From Australia… with possible echoes in the US MELBOURNE: John Passant, tutor in the School of Political Science and International Relations in the College of Arts and Social Sciences at the Australian National University, comments on the recent welfare cuts by the Australian Federal Government – . Jenny Macklin (Federal Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services [...]
Perhaps in marked contrast to the lack of political collaboration in the USA a joint roundtable stemming from the collaboration between the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), the Buisiness Council of Australia (BCA), and the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) found there are major barriers towards getting unemployed people into jobs and discussed [...]
The latest issue of Vision, published thee times yearly by the Society of St Vncent de Paul in New South Wales, is now available online. A number of interesting articles are attractively presented, including a report on the very successful CEO Sleepout for Homelessnes and a brief item on the Inaugural Rosalie Rendu held in [...]
Good works do pay – Study shows that education can cost less that poverty ! CANBERRA: The first economic analysis of a groundbreaking university course for Australians experiencing multiple disadvantage has found potential savings of $14, 624 per annum to the community for every student who participated. This is nearly three times what it costs [...]
CANBERRA: The latest Social Justice Update from the St Vincentian de Paul Society includes Christmas Wishes, and items Homeless Statistics, Steps to reduce homlessnes, Condemnation of latest decision on refugees, Newstart Inquiry and failure to fix the problem, and details of some upcoming events. All can be found through the link Vinnies Social Justice Update [...]
A Place Like This! a powerful 90 second trailer “about a place where homeless never means helpless…” The St Vincent de Paul Society has teamed up with the prominent Australian agency George Patterson Y&R Sydney to produce a documentary offering a unique insight into homelessness. A Place Like This, made by former Matthew Talbot Homeless Services [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- jbf: Another opportunity from the Sisters of Charity of...
- jbf: My apologies for missing Colorado Vincentian Volun...
- Éibhlis NicUaithuas: Also Colorado Vincentian Volunteers www.covivo.org...
- jbf: Ross Dizon's personal reflections http://vincent...
- jbf: For those who follow Pinterest ...
- Plastic shopping bags – sleeping mats for the homeless May 3, 2013
- The Pope and the Vincentian Superior General April 29, 2013
- Vincentian Service and Mission opportunities May 18, 2013
- Mother and Superior General May 15, 2013
- Daughters of Charity at Risk May 12, 2013
- Please pray! May 20, 2013
- What we have seen and heard we proclaim now to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us (1 Jn 1, 3) May 20, 2013
- Kickoff of Vincentian Family Collaborative Action Program May 20, 2013
- Celebrating the Bicentenary of the Birth of Frederic Ozanam May 19, 2013
- What would Vincent do? May 19, 2013