The creator of Farmville, Zynga, has raised more than $3.6 million for Haiti. Mark Pincus, Zynga’s founder and CEO, calls this “solidarity not charity.” Zynga describes this approach to giving back in this way: “Solidarity not charity is a culture that is not seeking a handout but instead is seeking a partnership, and a culture that had demonstrated by its past that it is worthy of our respect, of our collaboration and our sustained commitment.”
Archive | Malaria RSS feed for this section
Despite world economic conditions Pope Benedict appealed today to world leaders to “courageously take and apply the necessary measures to wipe out extreme poverty, hunger, ignorance and the plague of pandemics, which above all hit the most vulnerable.” Related FAMVIN Posts:Verbal difference between Francis and BenedictVincentian Magi – then and now?Vatican – The year that […]
There’s an extensive article in the Friday edition of THISDAY, one of Nigeria’s national papers, about the challenge of providing safe drinking water for everyone: “…women and children spend much of their lives in pursuit of this vital resource.” Read the story. Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
Having an enemy in common — malaria — has not meant that combatants agree about means and methods. This week’s publication of an internal document of the World Health Organization (WHO) that is critical of the Gates Foundation has turned the spotlight on some complaints. Read analysis in The Economist. Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN […]
Promising results in Mali malaria vaccine trial Gates Foundation grants for small scale farm programs in Africa and Asia The Partnership for Prescription Assistance paid a visit to Ironton, USA Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
Malaria is back in parts of Perú. Read about probable causes. Repression of human rights and rampant infectious disease go together in Burma. See UC Berkeley’s report. In science this week, a discovery that having blood type “O” tends to provide protection from deadly effects of malaria. Read about it. Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN […]
Peter Agre MD, who shared the 2003 Nobel Prize in chemistry, will become director of the Malaria Research Institute at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He told the Baltimore Sun that malaria has long fascinated him because it is so deadly and so widespread. Read the Sun article and visit the Malaria Research […]
Spend more on making indoor sprays available. That’s advice at the World Health Organizationâ€™s malaria evaluation meeting today in Burkina Faso. Sprays that include DDT are especially effective because they last longer on walls and are effective against mosquitoes. Read the story and visit WHO’s Web site about malaria. Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
naturenews reports that a trial vaccine against malaria has proven safe and effective for infants as young as a few weeks. In fact, the vaccine is most effective if given soon after birth. Read the article. Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has recently announced that it has awarded a challenge grant to Nothing But Nets. That means they’ll match your donations dollar for dollar, net for net! For every bed net you send to a child in Africa, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will send one, too. That is […]
Subscribe to Updates
- John Freund, CM: The gift of a Sister of Charity's life http://ca...
- Quincy: "...the Son of Man has no where to lay his head....
- John Freund, CM: Opps... the sources for this graphic is a shot I t...
- marguerite broderick dc: Do you have a source for the artwork on this news...
- marguerite broderick dc: an impressive list--thanks for the updating!! You ...
- Update – List of Vincentian Family saints, blesseds February 25, 2014
- Saturday Study Hall – Trivializing the Vincentian Charism February 14, 2014
- Catholic Sisters Week – Share your favorites February 26, 2014
- Christians the most persecuted group in the world February 15, 2014
- Thoughts on a requiem for the homeless February 3, 2014
- No to “Every man for himself” March 3, 2014
- Mama Around the Globe March 2, 2014
- Lent with Louise and the Ladies of Charity March 2, 2014
- Lent and the Miraculous Medal Associations March 2, 2014
- Vincentian youth cry out to advisors March 1, 2014