Will the Gateway have a role in bridging the digital divide gap? The Gateway will complement initiatives addressing internet connectivity and access. The World Bank is working on these issues through telecommunications and informatics sector work, and will join others to support investments in connectivity through loans, investments, and grants such as those offered through [...]
Archive | Digital Divide RSS feed for this section
Letter to World Bank President Signatories to letter [Wednesday 20 September, 2000] Today hundreds of people worldwide sent a joint letter to World Bank President Wolfensohn expressing major concerns about a new $60 million Bank internet initiative. The Global Development Gateway plans are being criticised as overambitious, endangering many existing websites, and for failing to [...]
Views Differ on What Is the Key to the Future ROME, JAN. 31, 2001 (Zenit.org).- Bill Gates and Archbishop François Xavier Nguyên Van Thuân agree that the human condition can be improved. The problem is, they don’t agree on what “improve” means. At a conference on the future of globalization, sponsored by the Italian businessmen’s [...]
A Vincentian reflection on the Digital Divide as a “new justice issue” by Donald J. Harrington, CM. President of St. John’s University, Jamaica New York. Vincent’s vision and the values he articulated in the 1600′s still speak directly and most effectively to the people of our day in a far different setting….Even while seeking to [...]
Focus groups conducted by the Pew Partnership for Civic Change paint a picture of nonprofits struggling with information overload and lacking the tools and time to efficiently manage learning and knowledge within their organization. Most nonprofit leaders view the new technologies as invaluable tools for their organizations, but, except for email, most do not use [...]
Hispanic girls have a higher dropout rate than girls in any other racial or ethnic group and are the least likely to earn a college degree, according to a study from the American Association of University Women, which says educators must pay closer attention to the cultural issues faced by Latinas. Census Bureau statistics show [...]
In addition to documenting inequality of access, the latest issue of The Future of Children, a journal of The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, cautions that without proper guidance, excessive use of the computer could hamper social development and put children at risk for obesity and depression. http://www.futureofchildren.org/cct/index.htm Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
International Labor Organization: Digital divide still apparent, says ILO Jan 26 2001: The global digital divide is still strongly evident, according to a new report on employment in the information economy around the world. The International Labor Organization report, entitled ‘World Employment Report 2001: Life at Work in the Information Economy’, shows that many developing [...]
More than half of all Web traffic comes from outside the U.S., according to new statistics from StatMarket, which reported that U.S.-based users account for 45% of Web visitors, followed by Germany, where 5.6% of all Web traffic originates. Next were Canada (5%), South Korea (4.6%) and Japan (4.4%). The new statistics are a “wake-up [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- jbf: Another view... ...
- jbf: Frequent famvin contributor Susan Stabile offers t...
- jbf: Another opportunity from the Sisters of Charity of...
- jbf: My apologies for missing Colorado Vincentian Volun...
- Éibhlis NicUaithuas: Also Colorado Vincentian Volunteers www.covivo.org...
- Plastic shopping bags – sleeping mats for the homeless May 3, 2013
- The Pope and the Vincentian Superior General April 29, 2013
- Vincentian Service and Mission opportunities May 18, 2013
- Mother and Superior General May 15, 2013
- Pentecost Sunday May 16, 2013
- Something new is happening … in Paris May 21, 2013
- Please pray! May 20, 2013
- What we have seen and heard we proclaim now to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us (1 Jn 1, 3) May 20, 2013
- Kickoff of Vincentian Family Collaborative Action Program May 20, 2013
- Celebrating the Bicentenary of the Birth of Frederic Ozanam May 19, 2013