My thoughts turn to you, dear priests, as I spend this time recuperating in hospital, a patient alongside other patients, uniting in the Eucharist my own sufferings with those of Christ. In this spirit I want to reflect with you on some aspects of our priestly spirituality.LETTER OF THE HOLY FATHER JOHN PAUL II TO [...]
Archive | Church RSS feed for this section
VATICAN CITY, FEB. 28, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Using the media to spread the Gospel message isn’t an option for believers, a missionary told a Vatican-organized symposium. “To evangelize through the media is not something merely optional but an imperative,” said Father Gerardo Pastor, when addressing a congress on “The Church and the Media: An Unlimited Future.” [...]
VATICAN CITY, FEB. 21, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II in a new apostolic letter calls the entire Church to a pastoral and cultural “revision” of its presence in and attitude toward the media. In the letter, made public today, the Pope says that ecclesial dynamism in the “global village” depends on this revision. The media, [...]
Each year, the Lenten Season is set before us as a good opportunity for the intensification of prayer and penance, opening hearts to the docile welcoming of the divine will. During Lent, a spiritual journey is outlined for us that prepares us to relive the Great Mystery of the Death and Resurrection of Christ. This [...]
VATICAN CITY, JAN. 10, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Life, food, peace and freedom are the four urgent challenges now facing humanity, according to John Paul II. The Pope highlighted these challenges in a full analysis of the international situation, during his traditional new-year meeting today with ambassadors of the countries that have full diplomatic relations with the [...]
ROME, DEC. 23, 2004 (Zenit.org).- How John Paul II Redid Christmas; Archbishop Foley’s Yuletide Reflections This is the 21st Christmas that the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Archbishop John Foley, is celebrating in Rome. One of his duties over these years has been to give the commentary for the live broadcast for [...]
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 19, 2004 (Zenit.org).- To make the planet “a society which is more and more like a family,” John Paul II invited young people to be open to others of different cultures. The Pope’s appeal is included in the message he sent to the ecumenical Taizé Community. The letter is addressed to tens [...]
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 19, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The evergreen Christmas tree is a symbol of life offered by Christ, “God’s supreme gift to humanity,” says John Paul II. The Pope explained the meaning of the tree during his Angelus address today to the faithful gathered in St. Peter’s Square. From the window of his study he [...]
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 16, 2004 (Zenit.org).- In world marked by war, terrorism and violence, John Paul II is launching a campaign to overcome evil with good. This is the essence of the Pope’s message for the next World Day of Peace, to be observed Jan. 1. The theme of the text, published today, is the [...]
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 1, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II says that to violate the rights of the poor and defenseless is an act of injustice against God himself. The Pope addressed the argument during today’s general audience, which he dedicated to comment on Psalm 71(72):1-11. The Psalm opens: “O God, give your judgment to the [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- John Freund, CM: YouTube has a collection summaries of his Wednesda...
- Binoy: Thanks for making it easy to follow the daily homi...
- John Freund, CM: I also regularly check for his sayings and enjoy a...
- Ross: Amen to "Keep them coming!" I find it good to w...
- Peggy Baumgartner (Towson): I like reading the Pope's "unofficial" talks. H...
- Pope ‘s unscripted comments June 12, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- Following the words of Francis June 15, 2013
- Vincentian Family – Nuns on the Bus May 30, 2013
- What are the Daughters of Charity doing? May 27, 2013
- Ecumenical effort for online safety June 19, 2013
- Sisters of Charity (Nazareth) offering $20,000 June 19, 2013
- Degree Attainment Soars at Catholic Campuses June 19, 2013
- Poverty as a Rubik’s Cube puzzle June 18, 2013
- Vincent de Paul – Prioritize cuts to Hunger Programs June 18, 2013