Fr. Louis Joseph François, Fr. John Henri Gruyer, and Fr. René Rogue, three Vincentian priest faced a choice. They could take the oath and cave to public pressure or choose to stand for their faith and commitment as ordained priests. The stakes were extraordinarily high. It was a choice between life and death. Two hundred [...]
Archive | August, 2005
AUG. 30 4:11 P.M. ET Even with a robust economy that was adding jobs last year, the number of Americans who fell into poverty rose to 37 million — up 1.1 million from 2003 — according to Census Bureau figures released Tuesday. It marks the fourth straight increase in the government’s annual poverty measure.Poverty rate [...]
Auburn Alabama, USA Some readers may realize that one member of the “webmaster” team (Beth Nicol) for this site lives in Alabama. Fortunately for us, Katrina passed west of us. We had a day of multiple tornado warnings, some rain and wind as the outer bands of the storm passed over, but no real damage. [...]
FR. Dan Borlick, CM writes….Our Southern confreres – some safe, others still out of contact.I’m writing from Dallas, today Tuesday. We now know, with growing sadness and worry, of the tremendous devastation to New Orleans, Bay St. Louis, Long Beach, Gulfport, and Biloxi as well as many towns and rural areas in the Gulf coast [...]
All of our Sisters left New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast and are safe. Property damage remains to be determined. Sr. Marie Therese, Visitatrix, and the 4 Provincial Councillors, along with Sr. Teresa Daly, drove three vehicles to Louisiana on Tuesday to assess the situation and assist in relocating the Sisters to [...]
Links to Google maps locating Vincentian Family Insitutions.Daughters of Charity CM St. Joseph’s <a href=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=70112+%221025+Napoleon+Ave.%22&spn=.284266,.489887&num=2&start=0&hl=enSt. Stephan St. Vincent de Paul Society Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
Preliminary research indicates that there are more than 35 insititutions, residences, etc. of the Vincentian Family in Alabama (11), Louisiana (24) and Mississippi (2).The following branches are affected… Ladies of Charity – 7 Councils St. Vincent de Paul Society – 11 Councils Daughters of Charity – 11 Insititutions, Residences Congregation of the Mission – 4 [...]
The most up-to-date info is coming from a blog set up by local TV station WWL. The station also has a feed of its live coverage.Live news blog from New Orleans Live video Related FAMVIN Posts:No Related FAMVIN Posts
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul National Council has issued an urgent call for disaster funds to immediately send to the Society’s offices in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, for direct aid to the victims of the on-going disaster affecting millions of Americans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Contributions may be sent to: The [...]
WASHINGTON, D.C., AUG. 30, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The U.S. bishops’ conference announced that a National Collection for Hurricane Relief will be taken up in the 195 Catholic dioceses throughout the country. Bishop William Skylstad, president of the conference, made the announcement in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, which slammed the Gulf States on Monday. The storm [...]
Subscribe to Updates
- John Freund, CM: YouTube has a collection summaries of his Wednesda...
- Binoy: Thanks for making it easy to follow the daily homi...
- John Freund, CM: I also regularly check for his sayings and enjoy a...
- Ross: Amen to "Keep them coming!" I find it good to w...
- Peggy Baumgartner (Towson): I like reading the Pope's "unofficial" talks. H...
- Pope ‘s unscripted comments June 12, 2013
- Vincentian experience of no water in the US May 21, 2013
- Following the words of Francis June 15, 2013
- Vincentian Family – Nuns on the Bus May 30, 2013
- What are the Daughters of Charity doing? May 27, 2013
- Ecumenical effort for online safety June 19, 2013
- Sisters of Charity (Nazareth) offering $20,000 June 19, 2013
- Degree Attainment Soars at Catholic Campuses June 19, 2013
- Poverty as a Rubik’s Cube puzzle June 18, 2013
- Vincent de Paul – Prioritize cuts to Hunger Programs June 18, 2013